Improving the Thursday Evening Experience in Pelham
On Monday, April 20, 2015 Council approved a number of requests from the Pelham Farmers’ Market, Pelham Supper Market and Fonthill Bandshell, to help improve the Thursday Evening experience in the Town of Pelham. The family-oriented evenings draw large crowds and offer a unique experience of food, family, friendship, music and fun.
Some of the improvements include:
- Expand the number of Supper Market vendors to include even more flavours and varieties.
- Offer cooking demonstrations by local chefs using fresh produce from the Farmers’ Market.
- Improve walkability in Peace Park.
- Improve grading in front of the Bandshell to better accommodate seating.
- Coordinate a joint promotions committee to help circulate a weekly newsletter about the features of the Farmers’ and Supper Markets, the Bandhsell schedule, shuttle bus and parking information, and to review operations.
- Allow Vintners Quality Alliance (VQA) wine sales at the Farmers’ Market (as permissible through a Provincial pilot program).
- Limit wine sampling to the winery’s booth in the Farmers’ Market area, and only permit selling of sealed bottles intended for personal use elsewhere.
- Upon recommendation from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO), license the entire Peace Park area under the Town of Pelham Special Occasion Permit to allow for proper crowd monitoring.
- Licensing the entire area is a trial and staff will report back to Council on a monthly basis to gauge public reaction and success.
- Place a discreet 3-foot fence around the perimeter of Peace Park to ensure everyone’s safety and enjoyment – this will also allow for easy maneuvering between the three areas.
- Establish six access points (see map) with clear signage prohibiting alcohol.
- Display more directional signage throughout the area.
- Relocate main washroom facility to allow better pedestrian access.
“Last year Council approved the Know Where to Go Thursday evening parking plan to encourage patrons to walk, cycle, take a shuttle or drive to attend community events,” said Mayor Dave Augustyn. “This year we are implementing further improvements to ensure residents, businesses and visitors continue to have a great time and we have a plan in place to maintain the family atmosphere.”
It is believed that the Town of Pelham is the only community that offers such an all-inclusive experience.
- The Pelham Farmers’ Market offers the best produce, where the food is fresh, high in quality and the next best thing to harvesting it yourself.
- Runs Thursdays May 7 until October 8, 2015 from 4:30pm until dusk.
- The Pelham Supper Market features delicious offerings from local restaurants, wineries and breweries.
- Runs Thursdays June 4 until September 3, 2015 from 4:30pm – 9:00pm.
- The Fonthill Bandhsell Concert Series includes fantastic performances from a wide variety of musical genres.
- Runs Thursdays June 18 until September 3, 2015 from 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm.